Industrialisation and Baroness Windsor

Harriet Windsor-Clive (1797-1869) was a wealthy landowner. In 1833 she inherited the Plymouth Estate which included the land where Penarth and Grangetown are now built.

 

She gained the title 13th Baroness Windsor in 1855. Soon after this she began her extensive work developing Penarth dock. The docks were completed in 1865 and were a great success and able to compete with Cardiff Docks owned by Lord Bute.

 

She was highly influential in the development of Grangetown. In 1857 she obtained an Act which allowed her to develop the area, building roads and a drainage and sewage system. She also encouraged the development of industry, which she hoped would not only bring rental income for the leased land but also provide work therefore increasing a demand for houses which she intended to build. Much of the housing, especially in upper Grangetown, housed the thousands of migrant workers.

 

She was responsible for naming Grangetown stating:

 ‘The subject of a name for the new Town we may now expect to see spring up on the Grange and he (son Robert Windsor-Clive) is more disposed that it should bear the name of the locality rather than that of ‘Clive’. ‘Grangetown’ would be very suitable for various reasons and is I think the best – the name of ‘Clive’ may appear for the principal street.’

 

Industry

Grangetown developed very quickly from the 1850s onwards. It transformed from a small handful of houses on dirt roads to what eventually became a lively suburb of Cardiff. The first industries to grow in Grangetown included a Tannery by what is now Severn Oaks Park, a rope works, a brick yard on what is now Paget Street, and the gas works which is still visible near Grangemoor Park.

 

One of the first businesses to be established in Grangetown, even before Baroness Windsor began to develop the area, was the brick yard. It took advantage of the Marl clay which was abundant in the area. It was subsequently expanded by Baroness Windsor who saw the opportunity to use locally made bricks in the extensive housing developments she had planed in Grangetown.

 

The rope works, which opened in 1863, soon became a large employer, at its peak employing around 60 men, women and boys. Its main purpose was supplying Cardiff and, later, Penarth Docks with rope.

 

The gas works was another large employer. It moved to Grangetown in 1863 from its smaller location in Whitmore Lane. The Ferry Road site was a perfect location as it had railway access. It also allowed the gas works to expand in accordance with growing demand for gas across Cardiff. To begin with the gas was principally used for lighting the new street lights which replaced the dimmer kerosene lamps across the city.

 

By the early twentieth century the Freeman’s Cigar Factory, based initially on North Clive Street and later on Penarth Road, was one of the biggest businesses in Grangetown. It employed large amounts of women.

 

There were also a number of laundries in Grangetown. Two of the largest laundries in Grangetown were the South Wales Stream Laundry and the White Heather Laundry, later the New Era Laundry, which were also large employers of women. Many of the laundries were set up by Chinese immigrants who according to the 1911 census, had come from Canton. In 1911 laundries run by Chinese immigrants were the target of attacks from participants in the Seamen’s strike. Angry that employers had used Chinese workers to keep the ports open, even paying them higher wages, strikers attacked Chinese sailors and even the homes and businesses of the local Chinese community.

 

صنعت سازی اور بیرونس ونڈسر

ہیرئیٹ ونڈسر کلائیو (۱۷۹۷  ۱۸۶۹) ایک متمول زمیندار تھیں. انہوں نے ۱۸۳۳ میں پلیمتھ جاگیر خریدی جہاں اب گرین ٹاؤن اور پنارتھ تعمیر ہوئے ہیں. انہیں ۱۸۵۵ میں ۱۳ویں بیرونس ونڈسر کے خطاب سے نوازا گیا. اسکے کچھ ہی عرصے بعد انہوں نے پنارتھ کی لنگرگاہ کی توسیع کا وسیع منصوبہ شروع کیا. لنگرگاہ کی تکمیل ۱۸۶۵ میں کامیاب انداز میں مکمل ہوئی.

گرینج ٹاؤن کی تعمیر میں ان کا نمایاں کردار تھا. ۱۸۵۷ میں انہوں نے ایک ایکٹ کی تحصیل کی جس سے انہیں علاقے کی توسیع و ترقی. سڑکوں کی تعمیر اور نکاسی آب کے نظام پر اختیار حاصل ہو گیا. اس کے ساتھ ساتھ انہوں نے صنعتوں کی ترقی کی حوصلہ افزائی کی انہیں امید تھی کہ ایسا کرنے سے نہ صرف کرائے سے آنے والی آمدنی میں اضافہ ہوگا بلکہ روزگار کے مواقع بھی فراہم ہونگے جس سے کرائے کے گھروں کی طلب میں اضافہ ہوگا جو وہ تعمیر کرنا چاہتی تھیں. تعمیرشدہ گھر خاص طور پر بالائی گرینج ٹاؤن میں واقع گھر ہزاروں کی تعداد میں ہجرت کر کے آنے والے مزدوروں کو رہائش فراہم کرتے تھے

گرینج ٹاؤن کا نام تجویز کرتے ہوئے ایک بیان میں انہوں نے کہا کہ

‘اس نئی آبادی جو کہ غلہ گاہ کی زمینوں (گرینج) پر آباد ہوئی ہے کے نام کی بات پر ان (ان کے بیٹے رابرٹ ونڈسر کلائیو) کا خیال ہے کہ اس کا نام کلائیو کی جگہ علاقے کے نام پر ہونا چاہییے. میرا خیال ہے کہ گرینج ٹاؤن کئی وجوہات کی بنا پر بہت مناسب ہوگا جبکہ مرکزی سڑک کا نام کلئیو رکھا جا سکتا ہے.’

 

صنعت

سنہ ۱۸۵۰ کی دہائی کے بعد گرینج ٹاؤن کی آبادی میں تیزی سے اضافہ ہوآور یہ ایک چھوٹے سے کچے رستے پر بنے چند گھروں کی بجائے کارڈف کے ایک پر رونق محلے میں تبدیل ہو گیا. اولیں صنعتوں میں ایک عد د چمڑے کاکارخانہ (جوسیورن اوکس پارک کی جگہ پر واقع تھا)، رسی کا کارخانہ، اینٹوں کابھٹہ (جو پیجٹ سٹریٹ کی جگہ پر واقع تھا) اور گیس کا کارخانہ (جو اب بھی گرینجمور پارک سے دیکھا جا سکتا ہے) شامل تھے

بھٹہ گرینج ٹاؤن کے سب سے اولین کاروباروں میں سے ہے جس کا قیام بیرونس ونڈسر کے ترقیاتی کاموں سے بھی پہلے وجود میں آیا. اس نے علاقے میں بکثرت موجود مارل سے حاصل شدہ مٹی سے بہت فائدہ اٹھایا. بعدازاں بےرونس ونڈسر نے مقامی طور پر تیارشدہ اینٹوں کی گرینج ٹاؤن میں وسیع بنیادوں پر تعمیری منصوبے میں کارآمدی کو ذہن میں رکھتے ہوئے اسے بہت توسیع دی

رسی کا کارخانہ جس کا قیام ۱۸۶۵ میں آیا جلد ہی ایک بڑی روزگار کی جگہ کی شکل اختیار کر گیا جہاں ایک وقت میں ۶۰ مرد، عورتیں اور لڑکے کام کر رہے تھے. اسکا بنیادی مقصد کارڈف اور بعدازاں پنارتھ کی لنگرگاہ کو رسوں کی فراہمی تھا

گیس کا کارخانہ بھی روزگار فراہم کرنے کا ایک بڑا مقام تھا جو ۱۸۶۳ میں وٹمور لین میں واقع چھوٹے کارخانے سے گرینج ٹاؤن میں منتقل ہوا. فیری روڈ ریلوے لائن کی نزدیکی کی وجہ سے اس کیلئے موزوں مقام تھا اور کارڈف میں گیس کی بڑھتی ہوئی ضروریات کو پورا کرنے کے بھی قابل تھا​.  گیس کا استعمال سب سے پہلے مدھم کیروسین چراغوں کی جگہ لینے والی نئی سٹریٹ لائٹس کیلئے کیا گیا

بیسیویں صدی کے آغاز میں  پہلے شمالی کلائیو سٹریٹ اور پھر پنارتھ روڈ پر موجود  فری مین سگار کا کارخانہ کارڈف میں سب سے بڑے کاروباروں میں سے ایک تھا. یہاں بہت سی عورتوں کو روزگار کے مواقع میسر تھے

اس کے ساتھ ساتھ کارڈف میں بہت سے دھوبی گھاٹ یعنی لانڈریز بھی تھیں. ساؤتھ ویلز سٹریم لانڈری اور وائٹ ہیدر لانڈری، جو کے بعد ازاں نیوایرا لانڈری کہلائی گی،گرینج ٹاؤن کی سب سے بڑی لانڈریز میں شامل تھیں اور عورتوں کےلئے روزگار فراہم کرنے کی بھی سب سے بڑی جگہوں میں سے تھیں. کئی لانڈریز چینی مہاجروں نے قائم کی تھیں جو ۱۹۱۱ میں کی جانے والی مردم شماری کے مطابق کینٹن سے آئے تھے. ۱۹۱۱ میں چینی لانڈریز سیمین ہڑتال کے مظاہرین کا نشانہ بنیں. اس بات سے خشمگیں ہو کر کہ کاروبار کے مالکین نے چینی مزدوروں کو بندرگاہیں کھولے رکھنے کےلئے استعمال کیا تھا اور حتی کہ انہیں زیادہ تنخواہیں بھی دی تھیں، مظاہرین نے چینی ملاحوں، ان کے گھروں اور کاروباروں پر حملے کیے