Early origins of Grangetown – Grange Farm

Grange Farm, often known as Moor Grange, was established in the early thirteenth century as a monastic grange. It was owned by the Cistercian monks of Margam Abbey who farmed the land. Throughout the medieval period there are references to the ‘the grange on the moor near Kardif.’

 

The grange continued to be owned and leased out by the monks until the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. The land passed to the Lewis family in 1537 and was described in 1595 as ‘messuage (house and outbuildings), one barn, one parcel of land, meadow and pasture called the Graing de Moore’, arguably the area had declined somewhat since the monks’ ownership.

 

Grange Farm House, which still stands today on the corner of Clive Street and Stockland Street, is the oldest building in Grangetown. Now surrounded by terraced housing, it was built in the late medieval period and was once the only house within miles of marshland. It was considered to be the only house between Cardiff and Penarth up until the mid-nineteenth century.

 

By 1638, ‘the manor land they called the Grange Marshes,’ was 300 acres, each with a yearly value of 4d. It was ‘bounded by the higher lands of Penarth in the west, the Severne shore on the south, and the River Tave on the east, and the common lands of Leckwith in the north’.

 

In 1881, the farm, leased to the Morgan family by the Earl of Plymouth, was being run as a 120-acre dairy farm which supplied milk to the local area. The dairy continued to operate throughout the nineteenth and into the twentieth century.

 

For more information visit Grangetown History Society: http://www.grangetownhistory.co.uk/grangefarm.htm

 

گرینج فارم، جسے اکثر مور گرینج بھی کہا جاتا تھا، ایک خانقاہ کی گرینج یعنی غلہ گاہ کے طور پر قائم کیا گیا تھا. اسکی ملکیت مارگم ایبی (خانقاہ) کے سسٹرشین راہبوں کے ہاتھ میں تھی، جواس زمین کو کاشتکاری کےلیے استعمال کیا کرتے تھے. قرون وسطی میں ہمیں جابجا کارڈف کے نزدیک واقع بنجر زمین کی غلہ گاہ کا ذکر ملتا ہے

غلہ گاہ کی ملکیت سولہویں صدی میں خانقاہوں کی تحلیل تک راہبوں کے ہاتھ ہی راہی. ۱۵۳۷ میں زمین کی باگ ڈور لیوس خاندان کے ہاتھ آ گئی، اور ۱۵۹۵ کے ایک حوالے میں ‘گرینگ د مور نامی ایک میسواج، ایک غلہ گاہ، ایک زمین کے ٹکڑے اور چراگاہ کا ذکر ملتا ہے. ممکن ہے کہ اس زمین کی حالت راہبوں کے ہاتھ سے جانے کے بعد دگرگوں ہو گئی تھی

کلائیو سٹریٹ اور سٹاکلنڈ سٹریٹ کی کونے پر واقع  گرینج فارم ہاؤس گرینج ٹاؤن کی سب سے قدیم عمارت ہے. اگرچہ ان دنوں اس کے اردگرد بہت سے ٹیرس گھر واقع ہیں لیکن جب اسکی تعمیر قرون وسطی کے اواخر میں کی گئی تو دور دور تک دلدلی علاقے میں واقع یہ واحد گھر تھا. حتی کہ انییسویں صدی کے وسط تک اسے کارڈف اور پنارتھ کے درمیان واحد گھر سمجھا جاتا تھا

۱۶۳۸ میں گرینج دلدل نامی بنجر جگہ کی کل اراضی ۳۰۰ ایکڑ پر مشتمل تھی، اور ہر ایکڑ کی سالانہ قیمت ۴ شلنگ تھی. اسکے ‘مغرب میں پنارتھ کی بلند زمین، جنوب میں سورن شور (ساحل)، مشرق میں ٹاو دریا اور شمال میں لکوتھ ‘ واقع تھے

۱۸۸۱ میں مزرعہ یعنی فارم جسے ارل آف پلیمتھ نےمورگن خاندان کو کرایے پر دے رکھا تھا ایک ڈیری فارم کے طور پر چلایا جا رہا تھا جہاں سے مقامی علاقے میں دودھ کی فراہمی کی جاتی تھی. ڈیری کا قیام انیسویں اور بیسویں صدی تک برقرار رہا

.

مزید معلومات کیلئے گرینج ٹاؤن ہسٹری سوسائٹی

http://www.grangetownhistory.co.uk/grangefarm.htm